Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Galveston Half Ironman

What a weekend.  Cliff and I drove down to Galveston on Friday morning, April 4.  We checked into the hotel and had dinner (and some good craft beer) at Jimmy's on the Pier and our roomies (Kendra & Chris) arrived that night.  The weather forecast leading up to the race showed a 100% chance of storms, but we proceeded with the Saturday ;pre-race festivities like the game was on. 

Packet pick-up
 
The obligatory expo purchases
 
 
The bike gets the entire backseat, while 3 humans share the front
 
I looked way more excited about my bike before I got knocked off it
 
We were diligent about doing our practice ride and practice run on Saturday
 
Carbo loading at the Italian buffet
 
Prepping in transition for the big day
 
Posing with our men before taking off for the swim
 
The swim was surprisingly rough on the way out.  I couldn't see or site so I relied on the girls next to me.  We duked it out some, but I tried to chill out and enjoy some draft.  The swim seemed to take FOREVER.  My time was 30:25, which was 3rd in my age group (the girl who took the overall win for the age group was just ahead of me in 30:19, there was a girl who went 28:53, and there was a girl right behind me at 30:26).  My T1 time was 3:27.

 
Heading out of the bike
 
Since we were the first age group wave after the pros (and I beat some of the pros and was 3rd in my age group), the bike course was pretty desolate at first.  I was a little nervous about making sure I followed the directions to get on the main road, because I didn't have anyone within eyesight.  Once I got on the seawall, I got into a groove.  I knew there was a nice tailwind because I would look down at the speedometer and see 25 or 26 mph, and I'm not that much of a bad ass.  I tried to stay in control and not let the excitement get to me.  Plus I knew I would have a headwind on the way back.  My split at the turn-around was a 22 mph average (which was on the Athlete Tracker but subsequently removed from the race results since I did not finish). 
 

Kendra passed me around mile 35, and I tried to keep things in check.  I wanted to stay strong without giving too much effort on the bike so I could try to have a 2-hour half marathon and have a total time under 6 hours (maybe even close to 5:30).  I was near mile 37 or 38 when a guy ran straight into my back tire.

You are probably wondering how this happened (because I still am).  I am assuming the guy was looking down and trying to avoid debris since there were quite a few folks with flat tires.  Also, I'm guessing he was riding considerably faster than me.  At that point, I was used to being passed since I was in an early swim wave.  But I was good about staying to the right, knowing that these 40 year-old men could out-cycle me in their sleep.  The guy apologized profusely.  I was kind of out of it though, and I tried to get back on my bike.  He did the same, and he was able to make forward progress (and he was off... no, I didn't get his race number).  I was faced with botched back brake pads rubbing against my tire and (what was later diagnosed as) a fractured collarbone.  I messed with my bike for a minute or two, but it was a feeble attempt (especially since I couldn't move my left arm much).  A random (somewhat creepy) guy not affiliated with the race offered to give me a ride.  If he had candy, I might have said yes (kidding).  I politely declined and said I had to wait for race support.  Fortunately a guy on a motorcycle found me and stayed with me while he called the sag wagon.  I got transported back to the medical tent, and those folks who helped get me there were unbelievably nice. 

The medical tent experience was not very good considering the high ratio of medical personnel to athletes.  In their defense, there wasn't much they could do for a bone fracture.  They eventually gave me ice and a sling.  The doctor let me use his cell phone to try to reach Cliff.  Eventually Cliff found me and we headed to the urgent care a couple miles away.  The nurse cleaned my wounds on my knee, hip, and elbow.  They x-rayed my shoulder area and the doctor was pretty clueless.  She told me the x-ray showed everything was okay.  After we got back to the hotel room and cut off my new $60 sports bra because I couldn't lift my arms, the doctor called and said the x-ray showed a "deformity" in my shoulder, and she could not specify whether that was a fracture. 

The next morning we left on a cruise.  I was in a lot of pain, and I was also really frustrated because I didn't know exactly what was wrong with me.  Fortunately before the cruise ship left the port, I was able to book an appointment to see an orthopedist in Dallas.  I probably wasn't the best travel companion, but we tried to make the best of it given the circumstances.

When I saw the orthopedist the next week (on Tuesday), he clearly saw the fracture and showed me the x-ray.  Fortunately I fractured it in an optimal spot (if there is such a thing).  I went for my follow-up appointment a month later, and I was cleared to do everything except ride my bike for another month (so I wouldn't risk falling off it again). 

I feel very fortunate my injury wasn't more severe.  But on the same token, I am bummed that I trained so consistently for this race and really felt like I could crush the 6-hour mark.  I am a little nervous about getting back on the bike, but I'm excited too and I even have a little itch to do a full Ironman again.  For now I'm just trying to maintain my weight and stay in shape.  So far I am signed up for the El Scorcho 25K in July and the Rivercities Tri in August.  I'm toying with the idea of trying a half again in September, and I have been talking to some friends about doing some bike rallies this summer. 

No comments: