I figured I would do an organized run and push myself to go a longer
distance than I normally would. I'm pretty sure the last time I did
this race was back in 2003 when I was training for my first marathon. My
goal was to try to run the whole thing, and I estimated I would run about 10:15
pace.
Garmin mileage: 13.45 miles
Garmin mile splits: 9:19, 9:38, 9:48, 9:57, 10:01, 10:18, 10:14, 10:10,
10:43, 9:48 pace on the last 0.45 miles
Official Time: 1:34:36
Place: 14th in the 30-34 age group
Obviously I went out a little too fast. I was hurting after around
mile 6, and the hurt kicked in even more at the 8-mile marker. I'm happy
that the splits on miles 7 and 8 were faster than mile 6, because that wasn't
easy! My brain kept trying to sweet talk me into a walk break, but my
heart won out and I had some guts. I ran the whole thing (minus a few
walking steps during walk breaks so I wouldn't swallow a bunch of air).
This race was HOT and HUMID... but that's what I got for running a race in early
September in Texas!
The lesson I learned from El Scorcho was to take some medicine for my acid
reflux. I took a pill yesterday, one when Lucy woke me up at 4:30 this
morning to eat breakfast, and another before I left for the run. That
worked out great, and my tummy and associated tummy parts cooperated. I
only ate an apple before the run and I had a gel around mile 4. I was
hungry for the gel, and I should have eaten a bit more. I drank an SOS
before the run, and I think the electrolytes help. If I do this run
again, I will probably bring my own water bottle, because the water stops
weren't as frequent as I thought they would be. But I LOVED the ice cold
towels near the turn-around point (mile 6ish). Those were heaven on
earth.
When GusGus saw that the medal was the size of a quarter, he screamed:
No comments:
Post a Comment