Yesterday was my first swim workout following the zone meet. I have been so conflicted with what I want to do about swimming. A part of me wants to get after it, train hard, and maybe go to Nationals (especially Puerto Rico next year) and sign up for some open water swims. The other part of me wants zero swimming commitment. Then there's the masters swimming dilemma. Do I continue to swim on my own at 24 Hour Fitness, or do I go back to early morning practices with the team? After my 1650/400 IM double on Friday night, and 5-event and 2-relay jam-packed day on Saturday, apparently the impression that I left on my team was that I flaked out on Sunday (when I had originally told our coach repeatedly that I did not plan on going since we had the wedding shower on Saturday night and house guests). Lesson learned... I need to stop waivering on decision-making and not say "maybe" when I feel guilty. So I am a little bitter about this at the moment, and I don't want to base my decision on emotion. That being said, I emailed my 24 Hour Fitness friends on Tuesday, and Heidi and Sara were up for a Wednesday morning workout.
Workout (Short Course Meters):
500 kick with fins
400 freestyle swim, 100 breaststroke kick, 100 IM drill, 100 skull/swim, 100 breaststroke kick
8 x 50's freestyle, 400 pace @ 1:00
250 freestyle kick, 250 freestyle pull (easy)
10 x 100's, half IM pace @ rest :30
300 easy freestyle
Total: 3,500 meters, 1:21:16
I averaged 38's on the 50's at 400 pace. I'm glad Heidi brought her workout, because I wouldn't have made myself go fast otherwise. So it was a good push to get up and go at the beginning of workout. I decided to go the 10 x 100's IM instead of freestyle since I was in the mood for some variety. That worked out really well because I pushed myself hard trying to stay with Heidi, who was slightly out in front. My times were 1:37 down to 1:32, with about a 1:34-1:35 average. Awesome workout... definitely red-faced at the end :) I had my swimmers do 6-8 100 IM's with relatively low rest last night since I enjoyed the set, and I made their faces red too (pay it forward).
1 comment:
It must have been a day for hard swims. Soren said that when she showed up to practice and saw the workout on the board she though it was an April fools joke. No joke. 5000 yards. 25 100 IMs. She was extremely red faced and left there to eat her weight at Cracker Barrel!
Post a Comment